Early reading is a priority at Keresforth Primary School. We strive to ensure that children have the best start with reading with the aim to read fluently as quickly as possible.
At Keresforth, we ensure:
- direct, focused phonics is taught every day in Reception and year 1
- children read from books with the sounds they know, while they are learning to read
- teachers and teaching assistants provide extra practise through the day for the children who make the slowest progress
- teachers instil in children a love of literature: the best stories and poems
- daily story time with a wide range of books.